Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The World Champion

New preliminary sketch for The Great Red Horse---

Here's our guy winning one of his World Championship titles:




These preliminary pencil sketches are done on inexpensive drawing paper to allow me to erase, fix, adjust, etc etc before I transfer the final image to the Rolls Royce of watercolor paper, Arches.

Arches paper is utterly delicious. I use hot-press to allow for a smooth drawing and painting surface. oh, heavenly....

But, I digress.

I referred to a photo to get the bridle just so. Lots of metal and leather, had to make sure every piece was in the right place.

My drawing style is primarily freehand. I think this allows me to focus more on feelings and emotions, and not exact lines.  Lines can be erased and moved, and that's part of the fun and the creative process of drawing horses. Line can also convey expression as well as my mood.

Can you tell what I was feeling when I drew this sketch?

*smile*

Thank you for following along, and for your support of this book. It is a work from my heart, a tribute to one of the finest Morgan horses that ever lived. I am grateful for your interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment